Operation HOME is a homeownership program consisting of one 8-hour workshop and one-on-one counseling. The course is designed to enable clients to make informed decisions during the transition from renter to homeowner. This course places an emphasis on financial literacy, budgeting and credit restoration for first-time homebuyers, particularly in the low to moderate income population.
Operation HOME has developed partnerships with the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA), local lending institutions, social service agencies, and local real estate organizations to help reach its goal of creating successful homeowners throughout Western Pennsylvania.
Operation HOME Workshop
To complete the first step of the Operation HOME program, clients must take a Workshop course. Courses are held on the third Saturday of each month from 9:00 am to 5:30 pm and include a break for lunch. Topics of discussion include:
- Assessment of family housing needs;
- Eligibility for first time homebuyer programs;
- Affordability analysis and financial planning for homebuyers;
- The role of credit in home-buying and homeownership;
- Pre-qualification assistance;
- Developing an individual plan of action for the home-buying process.
Upon completion of the Workshop course, participants will be awarded with a certificate and one-on-one counseling sessions to further develop individualized credit plans. Counseling helps clients investigate the best opportunities for first-time homebuyer programs and gain a deeper understanding of loan and closing procedures.
One-on-One Credit Counseling Sessions
- Develop a specific plan of action for the client to move toward homeownership;
- Recommendation for first time homebuyer programs;
- Credit analysis.
Pre-Closing Counseling Sessions
- Predatory lending counseling;
- Budgeting for the homebuyer and homeowner;
- Loan review;
- The closing process of homeownership.
For more information or to enroll in Operation Home please call 412-227-4164 or email HIntake@ulpgh.org.